I am a multi-language programmer with over 9 years experience in variety of environments, languages and paradigms. I am quick to adapt to new situations and always interested in learning new skills. My ability to assess problems, clearly explain them and quickly produce solutions has been extremely useful in my previous R&D roles as well as prototyping in a single-application environment.
- Extensive full stack web development experience with modern technologies such as React, Typescript and Django with a passing knowledge of many other frameworks and stacks
- Additional knowledge of big data processing with PySpark/AWS Glue, game development, server orchestration and information and API security
- Previous experience with various low-level constructs such as raw TCP networking, multithreading/concurrency and direct OpenGL graphics work
I have a large number of projects as I am always picking things up to try and learn new things. Most of them are available on my github profile however some recent ones include a virtual tabletop system for a game called Monster of the Week, an AV information system for a megagame called Watch The Skies and an in-game tool for a game called Garry’s Mod that currently has over 490,000 subscribers.
Some of my previous projects that I am particularly proud of include a BASIC interpreter I wrote using a phone and a physical copy of the ECMA-55 specification, an attempted remake of the classic game Wolfenstein 3D, a roleplaying game system that was used by hundreds of players over the course of a few years and a physical spaceship simulator built into a caravan that I helped build and provide special effects for, both digital and physical
2017 onwards: Lyst, a fashion search platform - Joined as an engineer maintaining and improving the backend services and internal tools, subsequently was promoted to Senior Engineer and worked on various projects such as
- Helping migrate the website towards more modern technologies
- Designing and building a greenfield project for tracking brand performance across the platform
- Helping migrate various services to an AWS Data Lake by learning PySpark & AWS Glue in order to rebuild the existing processing scripts for greater throughput and reliability
- Designing and building a new financial information processor, integrating with many affiliate networks’ APIs to gather and transform disparate sales data into a common reporting format with the ability to replay past data to fix historical processing errors when needed
- 2015 - 2017: Smarkets, a startup betting exchange - Extensive refactor of a legacy web system, formed a 5 person team that built a new mobile-first site using modern technologies
- 2012 - 2015: Playgen, a small Serious & Educational Games R&D company - Rose to Technical Director as the company grew and oversaw 6 developers and 10 successful large projects in a mix of EU research programs and commercial contracts
- 2008-2012: Various freelance game related work
- Computer Engineering BEng Hons from Queen Mary, University of London (2012)
- 4 A-Levels (Computing, Physics, Maths, Further Maths) from Graveney School
I am a big fan of games and spend a lot of my spare time either playing or designing them. When I’m not doing that, I am usually at one of London’s makerspaces helping people build unusual projects.
For a PDF version (with contact information), please contact me using the link below.